- – 4 large flatbreads or wraps
- – 2 tablespoons olive oil
- – 1 cup diced onion
- – 3 garlic cloves, minced
- – 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- – 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- – 1 teaspoon paprika
- – ½ teaspoon turmeric
- – ½ teaspoon cinnamon
- – ½ teaspoon allspice
- – ¼ teaspoon dried oregano
- – Salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- – 16 ounces cooked and shredded chicken, beef, lamb, turkey or tofu
- – ¾ cup plain Greek yogurt or tahini sauce (optional)
- – Lettuce leaves and tomatoes for garnish (optional)
1. Heat the olive oil in a medium skillet over medium heat. Add the onions and cook until softened and lightly caramelized, about 5 minutes. Add the garlic and spices (cumin through oregano). Stir to combine everything together and season with salt and pepper. Cook for an additional minute until fragrant. Set aside to cool slightly before adding to the shawarma wrap later on.
2. Place the cooked meat of your choice in a bowl along with the spiced onion mixture from step one. Toss to fully coat everything together.
3. To assemble your shawarma wraps: place a large flatbread or wrap on a plate or cutting board. Spread some of the yogurt/tahini sauce onto the wrap if using it as a condiment (optional). Pile in some of the seasoned meat filling onto one side of the wrap, then top with lettuce leaves and tomato slices for garnish if desired (optional). Fold up both sides of the wrap over top of each other before rolling into a tight burrito shape. Repeat this process with remaining wraps/fillings until all shawarma wraps are made! Enjoy immediately!